Jimmy Chattin - I make better games.

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

A Cowboy's Story

Red Dead Redemption is one of the deepest games I have ever played. I enjoyed my entire trip through it. Thank you, Rockstar. You've outdone yourselves.

Sigh... Now that that is over, on to an actual review!

If you've been keeping up with my blog from the beginning, you should recall my post about my initial impressions of playing RDR (follow along here: http://gamesoftaste.blogspot.com/2011/09/labor-day-and-rdr_05.html). I gave it praise for its tendency to pull the player in without the player even realizing it. Saying that, I continued to drift in and out of focus with the story, instead traipsing-off into the blazing deserts or the snowy forests to pursue vicious bears or pretty flowers.

I also gave high remarks to the narration of the game. Redemption blows away some of the most respected novels of our time for its wittiness of character, the memorable nature of the cast, and the broad-scoped adventure that is tied nicely in plot twists and climaxes that will make your head spin. Not everything is as it seems, and not everyone can keep their word. The fact that Rockstar allows for the player to become not just attached to a warrior, but to a husband and a father, then rips it all away is liable to make RDR a nominee for an Oscar or Tony or whatever award best fits the video game medium.

Speaking of awards, where's the Grammy for Red Dead Redemption's soundtrack? At the roll of the credits after waging my virtual war, I ignored the world just to listen to the music as it played. The tunes tugged at my already sore heartstrings. Great music in a game? This title certainly a source for it!

Now, even though I made it through the entirety of the story (for those of you who have not seen the credits roll, you have much more to do), I feel like my tale is not over. But what more is there to do? I can't say more without a spoiler warning, but my need to be a crusading cowboy is not satiated. Luckily, a friend of mine has handed over Undead Nightmare, a brand-new campaign set in New Austin (the area of RDR), rife with rascally zombies. I can't wait! This gunslinger isn't holstered yet.

Well, Red Dead Redemption is a superb game. I won't bore you with more pettiness of explanation if you have not at least laid hands on it yet. However, I must beg you to do something good for yourself, and buy/borrow/play this excellent experience like none other. Rockstar's performance here will be remembered for a long, long time.

Thanks for read! See you next time! But before you go, don't forget to bookmark/comment/share this Games of Taste blog. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment