Jimmy Chattin - I make better games.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

Designing Contest Visuals for Bungie - The Hero

Bungie is a world-leading game development studio with an awarded mantle of games.  The Halo series serves as the pinnacle of the company's accomplishments, but the design team has moved on to new ventures.  Destiny is the next title coming from these champions of entertainment, where the hope is to outdo even Halo.

Bungie has been hosting Destiny themed contests for most of this summer.  I've tried to be a steady competitor, so I'm here to talk a little about the design considerations used in submitting.
___________________________________________________________________________________

The first challenge I participated in took place on Bungie Day, July 7th ( 7/7 ).  "Design your own hero to play Destiny."


The art style of Bungie relies on lines surrounding forms.  To emulate this, most major forms should have some sort of outline, which I tried to put in to my hero.  Line-work, however, does take more time than immediately putting-down paint, so tediously sketching lines should be approached with caution when the work is needed soon.

Armor in Destiny should have a fantasy science fiction feel, with ornate details being embossed on ceramic plating.  Since I have a love of Roman military designs, an obligatory crimson crest ordains the helm.  The character should seem like a medieval, plated soldier with sci-fi tech integrated into the gear while also carrying a sweet firearm.

Since Destiny has much reference to choose from, it would have been a folly not to utilize a lot of it when constructing the hero.  Gold highlights, enclosed helms, capes, and knight-like/tank-like armor are the norm.

Now, when fleshing-out the piece, universal rendering of the entire figure is a bad thing to do.  Instead, when dealing with any kind of robot, humanoid, or animal, focus on the face; it's what people look to first by instinct, so it should look the best and not fight for the viewer's intention with other areas of the canvas.  Adding stock texture and then painting over it is a way to help do this.

Wrapping-up the piece, a point of interest can be brought to the forefront with a background that covers only a section of the entire form.  I chose a gradient blue oval since: 1) Blue is Bungie's (official?) color of choice, 2) An oval doesn't have hard corners that could conflict with the piece, and 3) A darker background with a lighter foreground grabs attention immediately.


What I could have done better in design are a number of things.  Desaturating the cape, realigning the abdominal armor, and adding improved details to the upper torso, while also using the Destiny logo instead of my own design would, I believe, be the biggest issues.  And using the font of a game that is no-longer being worked on by Bungie?  Not a wise idea.

The things that I feel I nailed was the use of red and gold where it is.  Details on the helm enhance where I want the viewer to look, while the background makes the whole thing 'pop'.  Though it is a thing less about the hero design and more about the presentation, I like the black boarder I added with its choice line-breaks.

Checkout the piece.  Read more about the process.

___________________________________________________________________________________

In the next round, I cover how my constructing a virtual horror with the "Your Worst Nightmare" contest and campaigning for it makes the piece a crowd favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment