Jimmy Chattin - I make better games.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Post Nanocon Impression pt.3/3

5:30 am.  Alarm rings.  Dressed and ready to go at 5:45.  Pickup Jacob Butcher at hotel.  Have great conversation on drive to airport.  Wish Jacob a good life.  Leave.  Get text 15 minutes later from Jacob.  His plane has been overbooked, and he volunteered to stay.  I head back, gather him, and head to Nanocon for more speakers.

Great morning, eh?  I decided to miss out on the first two presentations that Sunday morning, and instead took a little of collected personal time.  However, I did make it to Matt Weise’s Skyped discussion of “Demon’s Souls, Horror, and Holistic Design.”  The info conveyed was, if I may say, deep and philosophical to the point where I have to stop and rethink what lies behind what I play.  Matt is a seasoned game player, game designer, and software programmer; these experiences definitely spoke through volumes during his discussion!

Unfortunately, I missed the last talk of IDiG.  Fortunately, I had another drive with Jacob Butcher to catch his renewed flight out of state.  Before leaving, we needed gas, and let me tell you that state credit-cards SUCK.  Hardcore.  The bureaucracy protects a single penny better than protecting their … IDK, health!

The rest of the day was spent in recovery from the load of energy spent chauffeuring persons of importance for the last four days.  In total (though my numbers need a bit of cleanup) I offhandedly pulled +44 hours of on-call volunteer service over the weekend.  So yes, sleep all Sunday was not a bad idea.

Phew – what a weekend!  There were tears, there were laughs, but many principles of game design were learned beyond a doubt.  I’ll share with you my notes (after a little cleanup) real soon.  Expect a busy weekend of blogging, so be sure to read and comment!  See you soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment